Southampton boss ‘authorised’ spying on EFL clubs


Southampton’s spying operation on rival Championship clubs was authorised by head coach Tonda Eckert and described as a “contrived and determined plan from the top down to gain a competitive advantage”, according to the findings of an independent disciplinary panel.

The written reasons behind the panel’s decision were published by the English Football League after Southampton were expelled from the Championship play-offs and handed a four-point deduction for the 2026-27 season.

Southampton admitted observing opponents’ training sessions during the campaign, leading to one of the most significant disciplinary punishments in recent EFL history.

Panel Criticises ‘Clandestine Observation

The disciplinary commission was highly critical of the methods used by the club and condemned Southampton’s handling of junior employees involved in the operation.

The panel said the club had taken a “deplorable approach in its use of junior members of staff” to carry out the “clandestine observation” of rival teams.

The findings stated the actions were not isolated incidents but part of a deliberate strategy directed from senior leadership.

Southampton were found guilty of breaching league regulations after admitting to spying on opposition training sessions, including ahead of crucial fixtures during the season.

Southampton Lose Appeal Against Punishment

The EFL confirmed that Southampton’s appeal against the sanctions had been rejected on Wednesday by a League Arbitration Panel.

In a statement, the EFL said: “The Independent Disciplinary Commission’s written reasons in respect of Southampton FC have now been published and are available to read on EFL.com.

“The Commission published its decision on Tuesday 19 May, which determined that the Club be expelled from the Sky Bet Championship Play-Offs and Middlesbrough should progress to the Play-Off final.

“The Club also received a four-point deduction that will be applied to the 2026/27 Championship table, alongside a reprimand in respect of all the charges.”

The EFL added that the arbitration panel’s written reasons for dismissing Southampton’s appeal will be published in due course.





Source link

  • Related Posts

    Man Utd can sign 22yo midfielder for just £20m

    News » Premier League news » Manchester United news May 21, 2026 19:42 GMT (UK), by Sri Aswin View Man Utd summer 2026 transfer targets Charles to Man Utd? Manchester United have been handed…

    Sadio Mane reveals a story of a conflict with Jurgen Klopp during Liverpool glory days (Video)

    Veselin Trajkovic Vesko is a football writer that likes to observe the game for what it is, focusing on teams, players and their roles, formations, tactics, rather than stats. He…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *